I found a new way to use the Google Chrome browser without having to install or use a proxy.
The solution is called http://www.adsweep.org/
Since I use the developer preview channel, I installed adsweep as an extension/plugin.
Quick steps for Chrome-dev with adsweep extension:
- Switch chrome to dev channel with the Google Chrome Channel Changer (more info)
- Download AdSweep extension AdSweep.crx
- Install extension by running chrome from command-line with:
- chrome.exe –install-extension=AdSweep.crx
Chrome is installed by default in your application data profile: for Vista users:
- Enable extensions by adding:
to your Google Chrome Shortcut
- Verify that the extension/addon loaded correctly by navigating to chrome-ui://extensions/
Happy browsing, without Ads and proxy!
Check adsweep an adblock extension for chrome
other alternatives to my original solution:
I love the new Google Chrome Browser, especially theâ€¦:
- – really fast render speed,
- – new tab page
- – and the ability to create a new window from a tab that you drop outside chrome.
Naturally, I am missing all my nice add-ons from Firefox, mainly the adblock add-on!
So I found an alternative solution: using Privoxy. Privoxy is a small web proxy that runs locally and has the ability to filter ads.
- 1. Download & install http://www.privoxy.org/
- 2. And then set Google chromeâ€™s proxy options:
Options->Under the hood->change proxy settings->Lan Settings
Check: “Use a proxy server for your LAN”
And under advanced add proxy address 127.0.0.1 port 8118 for http and secure but leave ftp blank.
Now you can surf the web with Google Chrome and a lot less ads!